The Cardiac Arrhythmia Network of Canada (CANet) is the gateway to arrhythmia research and development in Canada. One point of contact links pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, government, and not-for-profit organizations to world-leading Canadian arrhythmia researchers and resources. Our vision is to generate new innovations in arrhythmia treatment and technologies that transform care, focus on the individual needs of patients, and allow them to take control of their care. We are one of 14 Networks in the Networks of Centres of Excellence, Canada’s flagship science and technology program. We are looking for an IT Security Specialist to join our growing team of professionals.
Reporting to the Managing Director/COO, the IT Security Specialist is responsible for designing, testing, implementing and monitoring security measures for the VIRTUES platform as well as CANet operational IT systems to ensure the highest level of protection of personal health information. Bearing in mind that VIRTUES components are implemented by different partners, the IT Security Specialist will achieve their goals by engaging closely with all VIRTUES partners and providing thought leadership in IT security.
- Analyze and establish security requirements for CANet systems/networks
- Defend systems against unauthorized access, modification and/or destruction
- Define access privileges, control structures, and resources
- Perform vulnerability testing, risk analyses, and security assessments
- Identify abnormalities and report violations
- Oversee and monitor routine security administration
- Train CANet employees and clinical stakeholders in security awareness, protocols, and procedures
- Design and conduct security audits to ensure operational security at all times
- Respond immediately to security incidents and provide post-incident analysis
- Provide technical advice on the design of security features of VIRTUES
- Be the point of contact for cloud services vendors on all issues related to
The IT Security Specialist is also the primary resource for staff that need information about security policies or best practices. They are responsible for briefing CANet Operations Centre staff or clinical stakeholders on current or emerging information security threats and ways of mitigation. In collaboration with the Privacy Officer they may either set or help create security policies for the organization.
Skills and Experience
- A minimum of 5 years of directly related work experience
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, follow-up, and accuracy coupled with good analytical and critical thinking skills as well as solid business acumen
- Results driven with a strong sense of urgency and an ability to meet tight deadlines and handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills required
- Exceptional analytic and creative problem-solving abilities;
- Discretion and ability to remain calm and be a credible and commanding advisor under pressure;
- Demonstrated aptitude for building trusted relationships, and a reputation for sound judgment and pragmatism, with internal clients and stakeholders;
- Proven abilities to work both collaboratively and independently;
- Security+/CISSP/Certified Information Security Manager and/or other security-related certifications
- Cloud certifications from a leading vendor (AWS, Cisco, Microsoft, VMWare)
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to the attention of the Managing Director at email@example.com
The term of employment is one-year with continuation dependent upon grant funding. The posting will remain open until filled.